Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Halleluja!

Praise the lord- our baby slept for almost 8 hours last night! It was a miracle indeed.

I woke up wondering "Did I feed her and just forget about it? Or did Mike get up? Or did she die in her sleep and I'm just lying here being grateful that I got a decent nights rest while she's just lying there never to wake again?" Of course I then had to run to her crib and make sure she wasn't blue, after which point I couldn't even go back to sleep because I was so excited and well-rested already.

Not sure what made her sleep so well. Last night I took her to a dinner party for my friend Harpreet, who is leaving for a summer internship in SF. People were impressed with how alert and active she was, in addition to being wowed by her cuteness and her full head of hair, which always gets people. So maybe all the activity wore her out. Or maybe she's just getting to that age where they sleep more...

We had our playgroup this morning and had a speaker come teach us baby sign language. I think I'll start using it right away, even if she won't be able to do it back to me for 6+ months. Hopefully she'll still be taking it all in...

After playgroup, it was off to the gym. I am a little bit obsessed with the gym right now, for two reasons. First of all, they have free childcare and it is an hour of sweet, sweet freedom. The people at the childcare are super nice and they know Caroline pretty well now- although they think she is the perfect child, sleeping or sitting quietly all the time. Secondly, I need to get back into shape in a big way. I know I'm not going to have any time to work out once I go back to work, so I'm determined to get off the baby weight before then. I gained 40 pounds (yikes!) and lost 25 within a week of having the baby. Since then, nothin. zip. zero. They say breastfeeding burns 500 calories a day, but it certainly wasn't helping take any weight off- perhaps because it was counteracted by all of the ice cream and cheese I've been eating? I swear, I have more cravings now than I did during pregnancy. And I never crave celery. Always some fattening nonsense. Anyways, I've already lost a couple of pounds, which feels great, and we'll see how the rest goes.

We've been trying to teach Little C to suck her thumb. We want her to be able to soothe herself and not be so binky-dependent. But she hasn't quite gotten it down. She mostly just sticks her whole fist into her mouth. See below...

Our sweet sleeper...
We got this new bumbo chair at the yardsale this weekend. It is a great little thing that helps them sit up before they're able to do so themselves. She's got decent neck control, so I tried putting her in it. Mostly she just slumped over...

She looks like she's hitting herself in the face here. I think its pretty funny. But probably she's just doing the fist-in-mouth thing again...

No comments: