Friday, December 24, 2010

Visiting Popsie

We went to see my dad in LA on the first leg of our trip. We stayed at a hotel, just because we're all a lot to handle, and frankly, he has enough to handle in his own life... It ended up working well since we got in so late anyways. So when we woke up, we went straight over there in the morning, and then stayed until mid afternoon or so.

My dad's health continues to decline- it is hard to see him suffering. But I was happy to see that he's in pretty good spirits. Though his body is failing him, his mind is sharp as ever. One time I thought he was sleeping, but I made a joke and he started laughing. That was fun.

I think he and his wife Mary and his caregivers all enjoyed seeing the girls. Caroline was really precious. I thought she might have a hard time dealing with the whole thing, but she wasn't scared at all, didn't say anything awkward, or anything. She was just her happy, charming self. Singing songs for Popsie, Dancing around, coloring, etc. She loved the hello kitty backpack they got for her and ever since then keeps saying "popsie gave me a present!" So sweet.

There were some great moments where Dad was just looking at the twins with such love- it was so touching. I'm so glad we got that time with him. He can't express himself with words anymore, but you can really read the emotions on his face, and I know it meant a lot to have us there.

As always, it was so hard to leave. Lots of tears and I love yous. I hope to see him again in June, when I think we'll be in Cali for some weddings.

No comments: