Saturday, July 17, 2010
Recovery
My own recovery was going pretty well, I thought. My pain was pretty manageable- I was weaning down on my narcotics and relying more on advil. I was getting around the house quite a bit (perhaps too much on some days, resulting in minor setbacks- fatigue and pain at my incision). And then came Saturday. When I was caring for the twins in the middle of the night, I started having some pretty intense abdominal pain whenever I stood up to change their diapers. It was much worse than it had been in recent days, so I took more pills and hoped it would pass. No such luck. It just got worse and worse, and I wasn't even able to really walk or sit up straight for the entire day on Saturday. This was annoying, as we planned to go walk around a local art fair with my mom and I was looking forward to getting out of the house. But even more annoying that I didn't know what was wrong with me and why this pain was starting now. My mom (a pediatrician, for those who don't know) suggested that it might be that my intestines were blocked up and that was causing the pain. I thought it was probably true, since I did feel some bad gas pains. So we took some medicine to try to relieve that problem, but I didn't really stop having the pain until about the middle of that night (24 hrs after it started). All the while, I was really miserable, crying all the time and feeling like I was going to die. I'm glad to report that it did finally go away and I was almost back to normal by the next day. Caroline was very sweet- every time she saw me crying, she would bring over a piece of her wooden cake toy and give it to me, saying "mommy feel all better". I love that child! And since then, the recovery has continued. I've stopped my narcotics entirely (which will hopefully help with the intestinal issues), and I'm generally feeling pretty good, if still easily exhausted. I do occasionally still have some pain at the incision and some cramping, but by and large, I'm feeling a whole lot better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment