Saturday, July 10, 2010

Last few hospital days

After the first day and a half or so in the hospital, I started feeling a lot better. I was much more lucid and my pain was decreasing. I was able to get up and about myself, and started walking around our floor and even a bit around the rest of the hospital- Mike and I found a hidden little courtyard after quite a bit of searching. The recovery, thus far, has been a bit easier than I expected. Maybe I came in just so worried that I wouldn't be able to do anything at all that by comparison I felt like wonder woman. It was nice to finally take a shower, and to get my intestines moving again and all the rest.

The girls have been doing pretty well. After Julianne came back from the NICU, it did take her a while to get the hang of the nursing thing. She just took a long time to latch, and then sort of fell off/fell asleep after just suckling a minute or so. But after another day or so, she was doing great, even if she wasn't keeping up with with Mirabelle, who Mike said "chugs like a freshman." My milk came in on the third day, which was great, because with Caroline it took 5 days. I've been supplementing their feedings with formula and pumping extra colostrum and breast milk after every feeding, so maybe that helped get things going quickly. I am glad the hospital encouraged that, because it definitely got my supply up and I've been able to make enough milk for both girls without much trouble. And we started tandem nursing (one on each side at the same time) on the second day and haven't gone back. Takes some juggling to get them both on, but after that it is pretty easy.

Otherwise, things have been easy enough. Julianne's breathing normalized quickly and she didn't have any further problems with that. We do find that she needs a little more burping than her sister and she's generally a bit needier- crying more often (though still not a lot) and wanting to be held. They both have a little jaundice. They were worried because Mirabelle was Coombs positive- something that has to with me having O negative blood and them both having A positive. But both of their bilirubin levels were within the normal range by Saturday, so they said we didn't have to stay any longer because of that. Their weights had largely stabilized by that point as well.

They are really mellow babies. Mostly they just eat and sleep. They almost never cry. I am kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, because thus far, this twins thing has been pretty easy. I know, I'm cursing myself just saying that, and I know in a couple of weeks it will get a lot harder. Heck, in a couple of days, when we're home with Caroline, I know it will be harder. But for now, I'll just relish these mellow moments :)

Happy family (So easy with just one!)

They like sleeping together

Look at those little snugglers

We heard that sunlight helps with the jaundice, so we got them sunbathing in the morning light coming through our window. So adorable!

1 comment:

hadjare said...

I think they need direct sunlight and that the window filters out the good stuff that helps with the jaundice.

In any case, they are SO CUTE!