Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's not always so easy...

So I know I have said many times that I really don't think this twins thing is all that hard. And compared to my expectations of the worst, I think it has been relatively easy. And most of the time it is really quite manageable. But then there are those days...

I think that, more than anything, it's the cumulative effect of it all. You just never really get a break. Even the times when you do get a break - and God bless grandparents and nannies for those - it just seems so short lived. And then it is just back to the daily grind. Weekends are often more work then workdays, because you're trying to do stuff around the house AND watch all the kids. And invariably one of us is busy or running around for part of the day, which leaves the other person to manage all three alone. And that is definitely doable. For limited periods of time.

So take this Saturday for example... Mike went to the Badger game with our friend Langdon. He left around 9am and came back around 2pm. And it was all I could do to survive. We had a playdate in the morning, where Caroline's new pal Siyamo and her mom came over, which was a lot of fun. But after they left, the girls were just so fussy, and when Caroline went down for a nap, I thought I'd get a little rest. But Julianne just wouldn't stop crying and Mirabelle started in. I was just so tired and really didn't feel like listening to them cry. By the time Mike got back, I just needed to go lie down. I had just fallen asleep when Caroline got up from her nap and came in to see me. I was so grumpy and irritable that I threw a total fit that Mike couldn't keep her occupied while I napped. Its like this sleep deprivation has taken over me and turned me into a monster. Agh! And then I felt so guilty about being so mean that even when she went downstairs, I couldn't sleep. Oh well. Need to work on not getting so worked up.

Oh, and by the way, that whole sleeping through the night thing... appears to have been a fluke. Not surprising, I suppose, especially after I cursed myself by writing about it.

Anyways, I don't mean to complain. Because I wouldn't trade these girls for the world. But its just to say that its not always sunshine and rainbows over here. Sometimes it is a friggin typhoon. But we'll make it through. Somehow :)

No comments: