Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Who says there are no jobs?

I just got a job offer. It was the one I interviewed for in NYC over a month ago. Well, not that job exactly- that was part of the delay, and too complicated to explain- but it is pretty similar and at the same level. I'd be doing strategy work for the human assets team at Teach for America. I would be working remotely, and traveling to NYC occasionally. Still need to find out more details, but it does sound interesting. Also, it is reassuring to know that someone wants to hire me! I am still in the interview process at another org, which sounds really interersting too, so I guess we'll see how it all works out.

Though I was awash with excitement with the news, I do have a lot of conflicting feelings. I have really settled into the stay-at-home mom role, and like it much more than I thought I would. I feel so sad that I won't get to spend all day, every day with my sweet baby. It has been such a treasure to watch her grow and change over the past months. Not that it doesn't have its moments... but overall, it has been such a blessing to have this time with her. And we're part of all these playgroups, and I've met so many other fabulous moms and kids, so it will be hard to lose that part of my life. I mean, I hope/expect to stay in touch and see them occasionally, but of course it won't be the same.

I always expected I would go back to work at some point. Initally, I thought it would be sooner rather than later. But once we got to Wisconsin and got settled into life here, I thought, well, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to take a year or two off of the working circuit to focus on my family, which is really my #1 priority in life.

But I do see the many benefits of working... including the paycheck, and being able to buy a new house without as much financial burden, and getting a little more intellectual stimulation, and making friends and connecting with adults without just talking about our little monsters. Soo..... as I said, I'm conflicted. But its also hard to say no to a great job when the nightly news is telling you every night that this might be a "jobless recovery."

Stay tuned for more details as I know more and make a decision.

3 comments:

the swimmer said...

i get your dilemma! Just one question - can you find something part-time? If so, you can try to do a bit of each. it's a lot less extreme, though admittedly very tiring. Whatever you do, I'm confidant you'll do it well - enjoy!

cseed said...

congratulations! I also understand the dilemma. I love having two unexpected months off with Ian... it was bittersweet to return to work. On one hand I really like the professional stimulation and I sure am not ready to give up medicine. But, on the other hand, it's hard to be away from my little man on a regular basis. Since you would be working "remotely" does that mean you could be home with Caroline?

Maddy said...

Well, I'd be home, but of course wouldn't be able to get anything done with her here! So she'd have to go to daycare. But at least I'd have flexibility + no commute time.