Saturday, February 27, 2010

New house!

We have been looking for a house for several months now, and finally found one we liked last week, and just got our offer accepted! We're very excited. It is a great house. It is over 100 years old, but was remodeled about 20 years ago, so everything has been updated. But it still has the charm of an old house, which we love.

It is set back from the street- we think it was the first/only house around back in the day, so it is kind of in the middle of the block. Only the garage faces the street, so the front and back yards are both really private. And big- that was one thing that sold us on this place- such a great yard! From the front yard, there is a good view of lake mendota, just a couple of houses down from us. You can also see the view from pretty much every room in the house, which is nice.

There are three bedrooms upstairs and a guest room/ office on the main level. I really wanted 4 bedrooms, but I think this layout will work just fine. I just want to get the basement finished so the kids can go goof off down there and not make too much noise if I'm on a call for work. We'd also like to re-do the kitchen at some point- it is fine for now, but it is a little small, and I think we could extend it into the area where they now have a laundry room.

The living room is huge and there is also a great screened in porch that I think we'll spend lots of time in during the summer. There are small porches along the main and upper floors on the front of the house, overlooking the lake, which is great too.

I don't think there are tons of kids right in our neighborhood, but I think there are a bunch in the neighborhood just across the way, so that will have to do for now :) We're also just a block from a great nature park with walking trails.

The schools are great and I think it will be an awesome place for our kids to grow. And it is about a half-mile from Mike's parents house (we've been joking about how we'll just kayak over there), so that will be wonderful too.

Still have to make it through the inspection and all of that, so it isn't ours just yet. We close on April 30, so we should have time to get in and settled before the little ones arrive.





3 comments:

the swimmer said...

it's beautiful = congrats! we're house-hunting too right now - in NC. so tedious, esp. from afar. I hope we fare as well you!

hadjare said...

Congratulations on a great find! That's a fabulous house with TONS of room. :D We'll miss you on the East side though.

Unknown said...

That porch looks huge!