Sunday, March 29, 2009

the rhythm of life

Our week has been pretty typical- we're getting into a good rhythm these days. We try to get to the gym every morning. Caroline has a great time at the daycare playroom and I enjoy an hour or two to not have to worry about where she is or what she's doing. Then I try to have another activity every day--otherwise we get really stir-crazy in the house. So we go to playgroups and storytime, or have playdates or walks with friends. Now that Caroline's nap schedule is pretty consistent, it makes it easier to plan things around.

Unfortunately, I haven't found it very easy to spend much time on the job search during the day, mostly because Caroline won't let me sit at the computer for more than 5 minutes at a time and is constantly climbing all over me. I try to look in the evenings, but sometimes I just need to veg out I'm so exhausted from the day. So no real movement on the job front. I vacillate between being totally fine with that and enjoying my time with Caroline, and then other times feeling like I should really get my bootie in gear and find something to do with myself, professionally speaking. Because don't get me wrong- this baby and this house give me plenty to do with myself. But I find myself missing a lot of things about working- the intellectual stimulation, the friends, the excitement for the weekends, and the routine of it all.

And as for the house... its been on the market for 5 weeks now and no real offers. Everyone has the nicest things to say when they walk through, and yet, nothing. I can't tell how much of it is just the market, whether our price is too high, or if people get scared off by a little sloping floor here or there, an old roof and furnace, and the flood-plain we live in... Oh well. Someone will come along one of these days and fall in love with it. Right? I try to convince myself that I'm not stressed about it, but in truth I'm feeling that more and more...

Here are a few pictures from our week. We went with Gia and Mateo to Big Joe's Storytime, which was great fun. Caroline is always so thrilled to see Gia- I love how her face just lights up when she sees her, and she wants to snuggle with her and sit on her lap all the time. So anyways, Caroline was pretty hysterical at storytime. All of the kids were sitting around watching Big Joe and Caroline just struts up to the front and tries to grab his puppets. Luckily, he was pretty enamored with her, so he just picked her up and put him on his lap. This happened three times over the course of an hour. It amazes me how she seems to have no fear at all. She's around all of these kids who are older than her, strangers everywhere, and she's just happy as a clam. I love that she's so outgoing and can't wait to watch her personality grow, but I do worry about whether she's going to be a bit of a drama queen...



We also went to the playground on a warm day with our friends Caryn and William. Here are Caroline and William on the swings...
Caroline Loves loves loves sand. She just runs her hands through it, picks up all of the sticks and pebbles. She's decided, for the most part, that eating it is less appealing after the first try.

We continue to work on the eating and she seems to be getting better. We're giving her a more balanced diet, but still as calorie-filled as possible. Her appetite still seems to wax and wane, but overall I think we're moving in the right direction. Will have an update after her follow-up appt next week...

2 comments:

cseed said...

Oh my gosh! I totally understand. I also vacillate from loving being home with Ian and treasuring our time together to feeling totally cooped up and stir crazy. We HAVE TO have some sort of activity planned every day... otherwise I go crazy! I knew it was bad when I was looking forward to my trip to the dentist just to have something to do! Hang in there. The house will sell and you'll find another fabulous job and then wish you were able to be home more!

KKJ said...

Wow- thanks for sharing. Very insightful. I especially love reading about the "excitement for the weekends". I never thought about it that way before and it is so true.
Hang in there- transition times are always hard.