Monday, March 23, 2009

skinny minnie

So we had Carline's 1 year check up today. Here are her stats:
Weight: 18 lbs 15 oz
Height: 29 1/4 inches
Head Circumference: 18 inches

So we have a bit of a string bean on our hands. Our girl started life at the 90th percentile in weight and is now down to below the 20th. Yikes! The doctor was concerned because she's crossed several lines in the growth chart (see picture below- she was in the green section until the 4th month, then went to yellow, then orange and now pink).

Her height has been a bit more stable:
So we talked to the doctor about her diet. We were transitioning from formula to cows milk, but now will keep her on formula for a while longer. And in an effort to get her eating healthy, we've probably been giving her too much fruit and veggies and not enough starches and meat and other calorie laden things.
We have to go back in 2 weeks for a weigh-in. So we got home from the doctor and I fed her breakfast of sausage and waffles smothered in butter and syrup. Fatten up little one! I also talked to my mom about it, who reassured me that she was just fine and don't stress too much. Of course her other instructions were different from our pediatrician, so we'll just have to see who we decide to listen to ;)

4 comments:

the swimmer said...

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Your mom is right AND your dr is right. Go for some more regular protein and a little fat every day so she has a healthy, balanced diet and then don't sweat it. I think it's more important to develop healthy eating habits than to try fatten her up suddenly. Those charts are there so doctors can see changes and respond, but the percentages don't mean much. Abby hasn't been anywhere NEAR the chart since she was 4 months old (too big)!

bostonshumways said...

Carbs and protein...That's all I'm saying. Carbs and protein. It does a body good.

J

cseed said...

Lucky girl! Sausage and waffles smothered in butter and syrup sounds delicious! She'll be fine... I've responded the same way as your doctor did to many of my own patients because that's what we're trained to do... but it seems like we are just trying to make all of our little ones follow the same growth pattern which is silly.

Katie said...

Avocado is a great food too! Tons of great fat with lots of good vitamins. And the coolest part is you can mash it and mix it with just about anything. I even mix it with Kaylee's oatmeal, which sounds gross, but tastes pretty good.