On Monday, we flew from Boston to LA to visit my dad. I was a little worried about handling Caroline and all of the stuff we need for her, all by myself (Mike can’t take as much time off, so he’ll join me out in California next week). So the travel day started at 4am. Unfortunately I didn’t get to sleep until Midnight, and Caroline woke up to nurse at 3am, so I was already running on empty… Mike drove us to the airport, and Caroline was all smiles as we waited in line. Unfortunately, we had to wait forever to check in, and then they forgot to put “infant” on my ticket, so by the time I was actually in the security line, they started calling my name over the loudspeaker to board. So I get all stressed out and flustered as I’m trying to do all of the normal annoying stuff like removing laptops and taking off shoes, never mind the adventure of doing it all with a baby and a carriage and a car seat and a boppy pillow and a diaper bag… So I go sprinting through the gate, as they are “urgently paging Madeleine Niebauer for immediate boarding.” At the gate, I’m all teary-eyed and frantic, so they nicely move me up to a seat in the front with more leg room, and Caroline continues to smile through it all and be an angel.
The next leg of the flight (from NY to LA) was a little less crazy, and we were lucky enough to get an empty seat next to us. But they had said there were no extra seats, so I checked the car seat, and had to prop her up in her boppy pillow when she wasn’t in my lap. This was fine, but I was super annoyed that they broke and lost a part of her car seat base while it was checked. Oh well. It still works, for now… Caroline got fussy for about 15 minutes, and wasn’t consoled with food or a clean diaper, so I was stressed she would scream the whole way. But I gave her a little Tylenol and she fell asleep for almost the whole rest of the flight. Phew! I got a bit stressed again as we were leaving the airport, because our flight was late and I didn’t want our ride driving around and around the airport. And when I went to change her on our way out, she decided to pee all over herself and her clothes and everything, which made it all take a bit longer… And my cell phone died, so I couldn’t call anyone to let them know we were running late. Oh well. We got picked up and off to dad’s and managed to survive it all with only a few hiccups. The rest of my flights are shorter, and I’ll have Mike for at least a couple of them, so I hope this was the worst of it. Knock on wood…
The next leg of the flight (from NY to LA) was a little less crazy, and we were lucky enough to get an empty seat next to us. But they had said there were no extra seats, so I checked the car seat, and had to prop her up in her boppy pillow when she wasn’t in my lap. This was fine, but I was super annoyed that they broke and lost a part of her car seat base while it was checked. Oh well. It still works, for now… Caroline got fussy for about 15 minutes, and wasn’t consoled with food or a clean diaper, so I was stressed she would scream the whole way. But I gave her a little Tylenol and she fell asleep for almost the whole rest of the flight. Phew! I got a bit stressed again as we were leaving the airport, because our flight was late and I didn’t want our ride driving around and around the airport. And when I went to change her on our way out, she decided to pee all over herself and her clothes and everything, which made it all take a bit longer… And my cell phone died, so I couldn’t call anyone to let them know we were running late. Oh well. We got picked up and off to dad’s and managed to survive it all with only a few hiccups. The rest of my flights are shorter, and I’ll have Mike for at least a couple of them, so I hope this was the worst of it. Knock on wood…
No comments:
Post a Comment