Friday, January 22, 2010

Would you believe it?

So, we have some exciting news that we've been waiting months to share- I'm pregnant!

We found out the day before Thanksgiving and though we were over the moon, it was a little overwhelming. We had decided to try for #2 in October, since I was thinking that the jobs I had interviewed for weren't going to come through, and I might be home with Caroline for a while longer. Why not make her a sibling at the same time, right? Well, as it turns out, we are perhaps the most fertile people ever and we got lucky on the first try. Alas, I didn't realize that I'd also be lucky on the job front! I got a job the week before we found out we were pregnant. So at first, I was a little worried that it wouldn't go over great to say, "Sure, I'll take it, and by the way..." Also, I was a bit irritated to realize in the midst of our San Diego vacation that I could no longer sit in the hot tub or sip on a beer. So selfish, but really, I enjoyed those moments while they lasted! But it was fun to find out while we had my whole family around- of course we couldn't keep the secret from them. And as it turned out, work folks were totally fine with it and excited for us. So that was a relief.

Fast forward to Dec. 28th. We had just enjoyed Christmas with Mike's family, who were all quite excited about the news as well. We go in for our first ultrasound, and this is what we see:

Holy moly. Yes. That's right. Two. TWO BABIES. TWINS! Oh my GOD. We were in such utter shock, I cannot begin to describe it.

The ultrasound technician was moving the wand around and I see one black sack, with one grey blob of a baby inside. Then she moved it over a little bit, and there was the start of another black sack. And then she moved it over, and yes indeed, there it was. Another baby. I said, hesitantly, perhaps not really believing my eyes, " It sure looks like there are two in there." And she pauses for a second, and then says, "Yup- you're having twins!" At this point, I think there was an audible gasp from both me and Mike. Then he just reaches up, grabs my hand and starts laughing and saying "Oh My God!" over and over. I think that phrase was repeated about 1000 times that day. The technician was talking, and then said, "you're not going to listen to anything I say now", which was definitely true. Though I was filled with a rather high level of anxiety about this new development, it was hard not to be thrilled and excited by seeing not one, but TWO healthy little babies on the screen.

We called our parents right away to share the news. My mom's response: "Congratulations, I guess!" Which was pretty much right on the money. Mike's parents didn't believe him at first. A little background here... for the weeks leading up to the ultrasound, I kept saying that I just wanted to see one little healthy baby with a heartbeat, and that I would be really upset if I found out it was twins. That I would be SO mad and stomp around the room and cry. Mike's mom thought it was funny that I kept bringing it up, given that I have no family history and we weren't on fertility drugs, so there was really no reason to believe I'd be having twins. So the first three times Mike told her, she just said, "No, you're kidding." But I guess the tone of his voice on the 4th time let her know he was for real. Then she said that I must have somehow known in my subconsious, and that's why I kept talking about it. Who knows. But it is funny that I thought I'd be so upset, and when it happened, I wasn't at all. Now don't get me wrong. I was and AM a little anxious and worried and wonder how we'll ever get through the first few years. But I can definitely say and I'm happy and excited about it, and have been all along.


I'm due July 30, but they'll induce me around 38 weeks if I haven't gone by then. Doc says it is most likely that they're fraternal twins, since they have separate sacks and separate placentas. We'll find out the genders on March 12- stay tuned.

The pregnancy thus far has been less than wonderful. If anyone remembers my last pregnancy, it was much of the same. Insane nausea and extreme fatigue. I got on Zofran (an anti-nausea medicine) much earlier this time around, but it didn't seem to work very well. I think my hormones were just in overdrive with the two babies, making me feel horrible. Things have turned a corner this week, though, and I'm feeling much better. Going to enjoy the next couple of months before I'm as big as a house. I think it was actually pretty lucky that I started work at the same time I started feeling sick, because it was much easier to sit on the couch and work on the computer and talk on the phone than it was to chase Caroline around and cater to her every need all day, when I wanted to throw up the whole time.

So we've been spreading the news to more family and friends over the past few weeks, and now that I've finished my first trimester, we figured it was time to let the world in on our little secret. Hope you get a kick out of it!

8 comments:

hadjare said...

Congratulations!! I can't wait to watch/read the development. I think you have the chops for it though, and Caroline is going to one heck of an awesome big sister.

Unknown said...

Wow What news! Congatulations to all three (five?) of you. We look forward to hearing more from Maddyland!

the swimmer said...

wow wow wow!!!! huge congrats!!

Amanda said...

Holy Cow! what a great suprise Maddy. I am so happy for you and your family. I look forward to ready about the journey. Congrats x 2.

Katie said...

Twice the love! Congrats to you all!

cseed said...

Yippee! I'm so glad you posted the sono picture... I was hoping to get a chance to see your two little peanuts! Congrats again!

bostonshumways said...

Oh MY! We're so excited for you guys and for little Caroline. The world needs more little beautiful Niebauers running around. Oh, how I wish you lived close so that I could take their newborn pictures! I've never photographed twins, but have always secretly wanted to.

Courtney said...

i'm still as shocked as when you first told me!.....hahaha.....you guys will do great though.....if anyone can handle a toddler and newborn twins it's you!.....i just hope one of them is a boy - not because i'm not liking my girls, just that one of us should get a boy!.....=)