Thursday, May 21, 2009

Leaving Boston


So we left Boston for good this week, and it was tough to say goodbye. The logistics of packing an entire house was tough, but we had plenty of time to get it all done since I'm not working now. And we hired movers to load our truck, so that wasn't too bad either. Mostly it was just hard mentally to face the reality that we were uprooting our whole lives and saying goodbye to a lot of dear friends. It was also hard to walk away from our beloved first home. Even with all of its quirks and challenges, it was still such a great house for us. We really grew to love it.

Caroline noticed the changes in life--all of the boxes and general chaos-- but didn't seem bothered a bit. I'm sure she'll miss her good buddies- especially Casey, William and Mateo. And of course I will miss all of their mothers, who have become such wonderful friends. But I guess in the general scheme of things, this is as good a time as any to tear her away.

Though I'm sad to leave Boston and the life we built here, I feel like this move is the right thing for us. It will be so nice to be close to family (even if I'm still far from my own), and we both love Madison, where we'll be at least for the summer... in the long run, we may move to Milwaukee. That will depend a lot on where I find a job and whether Mike needs to be in the office everyday or can work remotely sometimes.

The house closing went smoothly. We like the people who bought our home, and they seem as enamored with it as we were. They even brought a parting gift for Caroline- a stuffed monkey. They said since they were taking the monkey from her wall, she should have one to take with her. That was just the most thoughtful gesture, I thought!

And with that, we were off on our trip to the midwest...

2 comments:

The Sowa Family said...

hey Maddy, William is slowly adjusting to Caroline being gone, thankfully he can swing in his own yard now and not be solo on the other swings. He is babbling away these days, and standing at the refrigerator trying to get the magnets down that Caroline left up. We hope you are doing well-(we sorely miss you guys, hope you had fun on your trip.)

Courtney said...

we miss you guys!.....it's been a quiet couple weeks here in boston without our buddies.....=(
that's really sweet about the people who bought your house buying caroline a monkey.....