Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy birthday Caroline!

Caroline celebrated her birthday with a fever. Boo. She came down with it the night before and it just hung in there, making her lethargic all day. The only upside of this is that she's super snuggly when she's feeling that way. Luckily, the grandparents had us over for the day, which is, of course, the only way Caroline would choose to spend her birthday. We're hoping she feels better soon.

So what is our little two year old up to? She continues to be adorable 95% of the time and a little rascal the other 5%.

Sometimes I can't believe how smart she is. I think she's just absorbing so much now, and only 1/2 of it can come back out again. Like numbers. She hasn't been counting much lately, and then all of a sudden the other day she counted up to seven! (Granted she started at two, but we'll take what we can get). Or else they'll be counting on Sesame Street, and she'll pipe in with "nine" after they get to "eight." So clearly its all in there somewhere. And she was eating animal cookies the other day and goes "camel!" I couldn't believe it. I guess we must have taught her that at some point, but I don't remember. And when she was reading books before bed with Mike tonight, she said she wanted to do it, and then basically "read" the first page of the hungry caterpillar book. Obviously she just memorized it, but I was amazed to hear she did this!

And sadly, she remembers her doctor a little too well. He walked into the room for her 2 year physical and she burst out in tears. She just remembers that he pokes and prods her and then gives her shots. Which hasn't happened in 6 months, but clearly she remembers! And it was just as bad this time. She cried the whole time. And then when I dropped her off at daycare, she clinged to me for dear life and had to be pried off, tears bursting out of her eyes. Oh, it was horrible. I felt so bad for her.

She seems to be growing wider, rather than taller... but that's OK, because she was such a skinny-minnie before. I'm just not sure why her height growth hasn't kept the same trajectory. Oh well.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

oh no!......casey had a double ear infection for her 1st bday - it was awful......luckily she was healthy for her 2nd.....but it sucks to have them sick on their special day!.....hope she's feeling better soon.....do know what you mean about loving the snugglies when they're under the weather though.....sounds like our big girls are about the same height now!.....casey's about 34"...

hadjare said...

I hope that Caroline is feeling better! Happy Belated Birthday!

Katie said...

happy bday carolina! hope you're all better! i think that's the way toddler growth goes... either up or out, but not both together. can't wait for our 2-yr appt... i have a sneaking suspicion that rosa will remember too.