Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A moment in history

What an amazing inauguration day. It is just so awesome to be witnessing all of this excitement and inspiration. Part of me wishes we got to see it live in DC. The other part was glad to be warm and not swarmed with crowds, walking for miles on end. But the people I know who went--there are many!-- have only the best things to say about the spirit in the streets! It is really like nothing we've ever seen, with everyone coming together with hope for our future, even in these tough times.

We watched the swearing in and speech at work, with the whole office crammed into the common room. Even there the spirit was alive. I admit it, I got a little teary eyed. I feel so proud and excited to be American. I really believe Obama will make this world a much, much better place for Caroline and all of our children and grandchildren.

Back at home, we toasted our new president with a little champagne. Caroline got to stick her tongue in the glass, and made a fabulous funny face. We capped the night off with a reading of "Goodnight Bush" - a fun parody. My favorite line: "Goodnight constitution. Goodnight evolution." Well, goodnight Bush, indeed!



1 comment:

cseed said...

Truly a great day! Little bean kept kicking me all though the inauguration... almost as though he was saying, "Yeah! I will be born with Obama in office." Such a smart little bean.