Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mirabelle and Julianne update



I thought it was worth doing a little update on the twins, since I'm not doing their monthly updates anymore... They're about 15 months now, and they are just so sweet and adorable.

They started walking around 13 months. Mirabelle beat Julianne to it by 2-3 weeks, and is generally quicker and more agile still. Mirabelle loves to climb. She is perpetually climbing up on chairs, tables, etc. It is getting to be enough of a problem that we've started disciplining her (yes, time outs already!). She is so fast up the stairs too, that a couple of times we haven't had the gate up she's bolted up there before we even knew it! Aie!

Julianne is a little slower and toddles more, but she still gets around fast. They can both run, even if it looks like they're about to do a face plant the whole time. I experienced the first time of them running in opposite directions one evening at the Capitol Brewery beer garden, when we were trying to play with them on the dance floor. Julie wanted to climb the stairs to the stage and Mirabelle wanted to run through the tables. Agh. I fear it is only the beginning. I am glad in some ways that winter is coming and we will have them trapped in confined spaces most of the time :)

They have their own little personalities and it is fun to watch them come out. Mirabelle is really social- she and Caroline have a special bond. They really play well together, chasing each other around and giggling like crazy. Julianne sometimes joins in, but often she is just off doing her own thing alone. It makes me wonder if she is going to be more introverted. She loves to climb into little kid chairs and just sit there, kind of bouncing or rocking. She loves to look through books. Mirabelle loves putting things in and out of containers. I'll open the cabinets and find her "lovies" in kitchen pots. Julie loves playing with shoes. Mirabelle always wants to put on Caroline's tutus.

They don't really play with each other all that much. They kind of fight over toys, but otherwise often just kind of ignore each other. I think they're just so used to having the other one there that they don't need to interact. Julianne has started biting Mirabelle again, which she had a phase of before. It is so sad when little Mirabelle is screaming and has deep teeth marks on her fingers. :( I hope as they get bigger that they get along great and start playing together more.

They say a few word like things, but aren't really talking yet. They really clearly understand what we say to them though- they'll do things we ask them, even when we ask multiple things. Its fun to watch their little brains work.

We're trying on some nicknames for size. Julianne is Julie pretty consistently. Mirabelle has loads of name, none of which have emerged as a clear winner... I like Mimi, Mike likes Mira, Caroline likes Mirabelly. I ask Caroline sometimes if she wants a nickname. She says, yeah, "Caroline Lily". She doesn't understand that isn't quite a nickname.

No comments: